I practice more than just Chiropractic. I coined the term the POLITE Method
- P is for Protect you from further pain and injury; create a Plan for healing; and Prevention from future episodes
- OL is for Optimal Loading; this means adding gentle movements that don’t overload or hurt you.
- I is for Ice or Instruments (laser, shockwave, deep muscle stimulation (DMS), etc.)
- T is for Technology / Taping
- E is for Education, Eating, Exercise and Ergonomics
The “P” reminds me to tell the patient the plan to get rid of pain and inflammation and discuss prevention strategies. This includes protecting the painful area, providing education and my prescription. I explain my plan, and offer ideas and suggestions on how they can protect the spine or involved area. I explain the services I can provide to help improve posture and achieve a positive outcome.
The “OL” stands for optimal loading. This means don’t overload the tissue structures, but at the same time, don’t underload them, either. Movement is important especially for sports medicine. I provide the patient with corrective exercises they can do to help heal properly.
The “I” reminds me to talk about the instruments or implements I can and will use as part of the treatment for inflammation; not just ice, but also physical therapy modalities such as acoustic shockwave, lasers, lymphatic drainage, deep muscle stimulation and other soft-tissue therapies. I also use nutrition and a body composition analysis machine, which help to guide my weight-loss programs.
The “T” reminds me to offer Taping (kinesiology and athletic taping). Taping is just part of the treatment right now.
The “E” stands for exercise, education, eating and ergonomics. Adding these components to care has a high patient value, is quality care and helps reduce the risk of future episodes.More