Since 2000, two million women yearly have entered menopause. By 2015, 50% of women in the U.S. will be menopausal. Menopausal symptoms affect 80% of women with different presentations and intensity. Women experience these symptoms for months to years, while for some, symptoms can be life- long.
On a weekly basis I counsel women for menopausal concerns. While some women choose hormonal support, many women prefer to manage menopause with botanical and nutritional medicine. By far, hot flashes, night sweats and sleep disturbance are the most common complaint my patients feel negatively affect their energy, emotions and lifestyle.
I have found Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) to be a very effective herb for managing hot flashes. In the past 2 decades, there has been more research done on the treatment of hot flashes with Black Cohosh than on any other herb. Consensus from research shows that Black Cohosh does help with the menopausal symptoms of hot flashes, sleep disturbance, muscle aches. The mechanism of action for Black Cohosh remains unclear, but research has shown, it doesn’t have phytoestrogenic effects on the pituitary, uterus or breast tissue.
Isoflavones and kudzu (Pueraria lobata) root extract are extremely effective. As with any botanical formula, the quality of the herbs are critical to its effectiveness. I use Metagenics’s EstroFactors with my patients. The benefits of EstroFactors:
- Supports women with estrogen-related health issues by addressing multiple factors of estrogen activity and metabolism.?
- Promotes healthy estrogen detoxification and elimination from the body, thus supporting overall hormone balance.?
- Helps to modulate pathways of estrogen metabolism, such as the conversion of estradiol to 2-hydroxyestrone, a weaker estrogen that may protect estrogen-sensitive tissues.?
- Beneficially influences estrogen receptor function for more balanced estrogenic activity.?
- Features L-5-methyl tetrahydrofolate a body-ready, nature-identical folate that is ideal for people whose folate status may be impacted by genetic variation.
Other Ingredients: stearic acid, microcrystalline cellulose, calcium silicate, croscarmellose sodium, silica, magnesium stearate, coating (deionized water, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, and carrageenan).
Some women feel better within a week. Women continue to take EstroFactors until their menopause symptoms resolve.
EstroFactors is an excellent choice for an alternative to hormone replacement for menopausal woman.