Snacking helps control hunger and rein in portion sizes at meals. Here are some of my favorite snack suggestions. Go ahead indulge!
1) UltraMeal Bars. These are the equivalent of an UltraMeal protein shake. They have 190 calories each, 5 grams of fiber, 17 grams of protein, and they’re low-glycemic. And they actually taste good. The calorie range is right, and they are available in a variety of delicious, natural flavors.
2) Eat more peas (fresh or frozen). Half of a cup of peas has 55 calories and 3 grams of fiber; the same amount of corn contains 72 calories with 2 grams of fiber. I avoid corn most of the time. Corn is a grain, not a vege. The high-fiber and low-calorie-density combination of peas means they’re filling and satisfying, and the frozen part makes them interesting. They’re firm, but not rock hard, and they melt in your mouth.
3) Fage Total Greek Yogurt. Avoid the fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts – these are high in sugar. I’d rather you toss in chopped dates, figs, or apricots. This yogurt is fluffy, low in calories, and has good protein and fiber.
4) One of the best ways to lose weight is to increase consumption of vegetables. That increases volume and decreases calorie density.
5) Beef Jerky is high in protein and doesn’t raise your level of insulin-a hormone that signals your body to store fat. That makes it an ideal between-meals snack, especially when you’re trying to lose weight. And while some beef-jerky brands are packed with high-sodium ingredients, such as MSG and sodium nitrate, chemical-free products are available. Check the label for brands that are made from all-natural ingredients, which reduce the total sodium content.
Bonus: Order Metagenics at 10% 0FF UltraMeal Bars