Question for Dr. Tucker: “I am a 40 year old female weighting 150 pounds and I’m 5’ 7”. My eating habits are getting better. I want to know what you recommend I might eat before and after a boot camp class or kettlebell workout? I want to lose fat and keep my muscle.”
Dr. Tucker’s response: Decide on a protein shake or bars vs turning to your fridge: One cup of lowfat chocolate milk or lowfat fruit yogurt will likely provide an athlete/active individual with the amount of Essential Amino Acids (EAA) and carbohydrate they need to enhance muscle growth.
• For those who need more specific calculations for estimating quantity of protein and carbohydrate to consume, research recommends 0.045 grams of EAA per pound of body weight in combination with 0.23 grams of carbohydrate per pound of body weight.
• For example: For a 150-pound woman, a simple cup of lowfat, fruit-flavored yogurt will work. I prefer the UltraMeal shake (www.DrJeffreyTucker.meta-ehealth.com) with approximately 15 grams of high quality protein. This provides the appropriate amount of protein and carbohydrate with a comprehensive spectrum of essential vitamins and minerals in every serving. It also gives me the insurance to know that you will lose fat and not muscle.
During Workout Nutrition:
The research here has actually been similar in that we want to feed the body a product with a 2:1 ratio of carbs:protein . Here I recommend the UltraMeal Shake (2 scoops) with one scoop of UltraPure Protein (www.DrJeffreyTucker.meta-ehealth.com)
Other Pre- and Post Exercise Snack Ideas for Combining Carbs and Protein
• 2 slices whole grain toast and 2 tablespoons peanut butter
• Apple and 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese*
• 1 cup fruit yogurt and 1/4 cup granola*
• 2-egg omelet with 1 cup fresh vegetables, 1 whole-wheat English muffin*
• String cheese and 1 ounce pretzels*
• 1/4 cup nuts and an orange
• Hard-boiled egg and 1/2 whole-wheat bagel*
• Whole-wheat pita and 1/2 cup canned tuna*
• UltraMeal Bar (order at www.DrJeffreyTucker.meta-ehealth.com)
*These food combinations provide higher quality protein (that is, protein with all the nine EAA).